John C. Sumberg
John Sumberg serves as Chairman of Bilzin Sumberg, where he leads the business and strategic operations of the Firm.
John is one of the most influential real estate lawyers in South Florida, leveraging his presence and wisdom to guide stakeholders through strategic business decisions.
Throughout his 40-plus-year career, John's influence can be seen in the revitalization of Miami's skyline and in connection with complex real estate transactions worth billions of dollars.
Representation of Oleta Partners, LLC, a joint venture comprised of affiliates of the LeFrak Organization and Turnberry Associates, in the successful negotiation of the long-term ground lease and complicated leasehold financing for a 185-acre brownfields redevelopment site in the City of North Mi...
Representation of Paramount Miami Worldcenter in all facets of the development of a 564-unit residential tower and six-acre amenity deck, which is the $650 million centerpiece of the $2 billion Miami Worldcenter. The team represents Paramount Miami Worldcenter in its acquisition of land and air r...
Representation of an entity comprised of Starwood Capital, the LeFrak Organization, and Invesco Ltd. in the purchase and substantial $340 million renovation of one of South Beach's largest oceanfront luxury resort properties, the 1 Hotel & Homes South Beach. Our team handled contract negotiat...
Representation of SBACE in proposed redevelopment of Miami Beach Convention Center District. SBACE is comprised of Tishman Hotel & Realty, UIA Management, and the Office of Metropolitan Architecture, led by Dan Tishman, Robert Wennett, and Rem Koolhaas. We represented the client throughout th...
Representation of purchaser of 100% of the membership interests of the owner of a newly constructed apartment tower for $184.5 million. The apartment tower is located in the air space above a mixed-use project in downtown Miami, Florida.
EducationYale Law School, J.D., Editor, Yale Law Journal (1973 - 1974), 1974Yale University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1971
InvolvementUnited Way of Miami-Dade
Executive Committee Member
Board Member and Trustee
Center for Excellence in Education Campaign Co-Chair, Campaign Cabinet
Nominating CommitteeUniversity of Miami School of Architecture Master in Real Estate Development + Urbanism
Advisory Board Executive Committee, Member and Former Chair
Nominating Committee, Chair
Transportation & Infrastructure Committee, Co-ChairGreater Miami Jewish FederationBoard Member
Audit Committee, ChairSundari Foundation Lotus House Women's ShelterBoard of Directors, Vice Chair
Executive Committee, MemberLotus Endowment Fund, Inc.Board Member and Vice President
Bar AdmissionsFloridaNew York
- Band 1, Chambers USA, Real Estate, 2003 - present
- Daily Business Review, Distinguished Leader, 2017, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, 2003 - present
- Florida Trend's Florida 500 - Florida's Most Influential Business Leaders, 2018
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders 250, 2017, 2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006 - present
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, 2004 - present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year - Miami Real Estate Law, 2013, 2018
- Bisnow, Miami Power 50 - The Most Influential Players in Commercial Real Estate, 2016
- South Florida Business Journal, Top 100 Power Leaders, 2014, 2015
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law & Accounting, 2014, 2015
- Daily Business Review, Top Dealmakers of the Year - Mixed Use finalist, 2014
- Daily Business Review, Top Dealmakers of the Year - Hotels, 2013
- Florida Super Lawyers, Top 100 Miami Florida Super Lawyers, 2013
- Miami Today's Book of Leaders, 2013
- South Florida Business Journal, Book of Law, Leading Lawyer, 2011; Top Managing Partner, 2012; Legal Leader, 2013
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Sending an email will not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not send us any information that you want treated confidentially. By clicking "I Accept," you acknowledge that we may review and use any information you transmit to us.