Miami, FL – As Florida continues its robust economic expansion and capital is deployed throughout the state in a diverse range of sectors, law firm Bilzin Sumberg has expanded its Corporate & Finance practice to keep pace with demand for its services. The firm, which is home to one of Florida’s largest and most active teams specialized in all aspects of corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions, joint venture formations, and corporate financings, has added six attorneys into its Corporate & Finance practice: Douglas K. Aguililla, Nathaniel G. Dutt, Alexandra Haller, Robert W. Lee, Daniel Martinez, and John Trach.
The addition of these attorneys strengthens the firm’s ability to counsel companies across a wide variety of sizes – from startups to public companies – in matters ranging from capital raises and cross-border transactions, to private equity/debt placements and acquisitions and divestments. Bilzin Sumberg has thrived by anticipating economic cycles and seizing opportunity within the increasingly diverse sectors that have driven Florida’s growth, with the firm’s Corporate & Finance attorneys positioned to counsel public and private companies, entrepreneurial business enterprises, real estate owners and developers, and investors.
As businesses migrate to the state and investors seed new local ventures, demand for these services is expected to grow, particularly for knowledge-intensive industries such as fin-tech, private equity, and life sciences. In 2021, Floridians filed 632,105 applications for new businesses — a 27% increase from the year before, according to federal data.
“Our welcoming these talented attorneys to the practice is a direct response to the exciting growth and diversification of the state’s economy,” says David Seifer, Practice Group Leader for Corporate & Finance at Bilzin Sumberg, “The expansion of our Corporate & Finance practice heightens our ability to serve clients on the growing number of complex and sophisticated corporate matters for which we have always been sought.”
The newest members of Bilzin Sumberg’s Corporate & Finance practice include:
• Douglas Aguililla has experience advising public companies from various industries on corporate and securities law matters, including public financing, SEC reporting compliance, and corporate governance. He has also represented lenders, borrowers, and public companies in high-yield, credit, debt, and equity securities transactions. He has experience drafting annual reports, quarterly reports, registration statements, subscription agreements, offering memorandums, credit agreements, inter-creditor agreements, purchase agreements, intellectual property security agreements and subordination agreements.
• Nathaniel G. Dutt structures and advises with respect to mergers, acquisitions, consolidations, divestitures, capital restructurings, purchases, sales, strategic alliances, and joint ventures, and further counsels various sized businesses - from the start-up stage to established large enterprises - on the varying income tax consequences of such transactions. He also provides tax opinions for difficult and convoluted issues, and works with clients to plan and implement tax strategies for a diversified set of business activities and transactions.
• Alexandra Haller represents private companies and private funds in formation and governance matters, M&A transactions, and other strategic transactions. Her broad experience covers matters in a diverse range of sectors, including software, healthcare, life sciences, e-commerce, renewable energy technology, and the aerospace industry, among others.
• Robert W. Lee brings with him extensive experience advising on entity operations, growth, deal structuring, and other transactional work. He counsels clients on a range of corporate matters including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, commercial finance, and general contract negotiations. Robert lends a strong tax background to his corporate work, allowing him to leverage his tax structuring abilities to provide clients with additional value beyond counseling on traditional transactional matters.
• Daniel Martinez, Of Counsel in the firm’s Tax & Private Wealth Group, focuses his practice on corporate and partnership tax matters with respect to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, REITs, investment funds, and financing transactions for both domestic and international companies. He utilizes his robust experience in tax law to optimize the structuring of corporate transactions on behalf of his clients.
• John Trach focuses on a diverse range of transactional corporate matters for the firm’s clients, drawing on his prior experience of holding multiple management positions with South Florida businesses and as co-founder of a customer relationship management software company.
About Bilzin Sumberg
Bilzin Sumberg counsels clients whose business and legal opportunities and challenges span the United States and cross borders to Europe, Latin America, Canada, the Middle East, and Asia. The firm's growth has paralleled that of its Miami home base, a region known for its rich cultural, social, and professional diversity. Bilzin Sumberg lawyers concentrate on services at the heart of both regional and international commerce, including real estate, land development and government relations, environmental, corporate law, joint ventures, domestic and international tax and estate planning, business litigation, finance, and public-private partnerships. For more information, please visit bilzin.com.